But the kiddos are sick (not that you would know unless you looked at them closely) and I told Monkey we could bake this afternoon. Well we are out of a lot of stuff so his choice was oatmeal raisin cookies (daddy's request so he could have them for breakfast) or brownies, he chose brownies. He is my boy after all, he must have learned that chocolate cures all!
So this is my absolute favorite brownie recipe. Not because it's the absolute best brownie you will ever eat. But because it takes 1 bowl (a few more if you do it with a toddler) and like 10 minutes (5 if you use the microwave) to prep. And when you want chocolate...you want it now!
Baker's One Bowl Brownies
Prep: 15min Total: 50min
4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350degrees. Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with foil extending over sides and grease foil. *
- Melt (they say microwave I prefer the stove) chocolate and butter (in microwave it should be HIGH for 2 minutes, but I have never done it this way).
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour and nuts.
- spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with fudgy crumbs (do not overcook)**
- Try hard to allow to cool in pan on wire rack.
* I personally think the brownies come out to thin in a 13x9 so I always make it in an 8x8 square for thicker brownies. I also have found that the best pan ever is the Bakers Secret silicone pan. I grease it but I don't bother with the foil.
** Unless like me you like the taste of the slightly burned and crunchy ends!
It was also a great recipe to introduce Monkey to cooking on the stove. It melts on low and then everything goes into the pot. He loved it! If your kids aren't ready for the stove you can melt it in the microwave and bring the melted chocolate to a table to let them add and mix with.