Lemon Pound Cake with Raspberry Sauce
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp lemon extract*
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp grated lemon peel
Raspberry sauce* (With great help from MB)
18oz fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 orange liqueur or orange juice
** If you don't have fresh raspberries available you can use 1 3/4 cup raspberry ice ream topping or pie filling
powdered sugar and raspberries for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of pan; dust with flour.
- In large bowl combine sugar, butter, lemon extract and eggs; beat until think and lemon colored; about 5 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine flour; baking powder and salt.
- In 1 cup measure combine milk; lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Beat flour mixture into sugar mixture alternating with milk until well blended.
- Spread into pan. Bake at 350 for 70-80 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes. remove from pan and cool completely.
- Place on serving plate and dust with powdered sugar. Just before serving heat raspberry sauce (make your own sauce by putting raspberries and sugar in a food processor puree and than pass through a fine mesh sieve) and orange liqueur together until just warm.
- Spoon 2 tbsp. of sauce onto each dessert plate. Place slice of cake on top of sauce; garnish with raspberries and lemon peel.
* I didn't want to spend the money on this because I didn't think I would use it again. The standard substitute is 2tsp zest for 1tsp extract . Because there were going to be kids eating it I didn't want an overpowering lemon flavor so I used 1 tsp lemon zest