Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
From Redbook October 2001*
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 18 min
Yields: 8cups (barely enough for a family of four, I will need to double next time!)
1Tbs olive oil
2 cloves, minced garlic
2 14.5oz cans chicken broth
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1 9oz package four cheese tortellini
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp. pepper
- Cook garlic and olive oil in a dutch oven (or medium stock pot) over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil. Add tortellini; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until tortellini are tender
- stir in basil and pepper and simmer 3 minutes
- serve with a little sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and warm crusty bread
Oh and thanks to Katie over at Katie Did Journal. She had mentioned that her girls love soup and it's because she told them it keeps their hair golden. So I told Peanut if she wanted golden curls like mommy she needed to eats soup, and it worked! She dipped her bread in it, and even ate tortellini! It's on the spectrum of macky-roni so I am not totally surprised, but thrilled none the less! Thanks Katie!
* You didn't think it was my own did you? You should know better! Funny story I only have this recipe, that I make once a month in the winter because we were early for our flight home on our honeymoon and I had read all my books already. I grabbed a bunch of American magazines in the airport in Rome to get me through the flight. In learning to love food I am learning that the best part of food and cooking is all the memories it brings back!